Around 86% of global energy still comes from fossil fuels, which pollutes the planet and stokes climate change. Which means there is a lot to change, we need to remote a lot in order to achieve our goal of living in a healthy society.
But there is a good news.
We are more eager than (almost) ever to prodce geen energy. In the 21st Century, we’re poised to use more renewable energy sources than ever before, including those from wind or water. Solar energy alone saw a 664% increase between 2010 and 2015.
But Aggressively pursuing this kind of energy is going to be one of the big challenges we’ll face, and it’s crucial to know which countries are going to lead the way.
Solar, wind, water… these are the energy sources that need to replace fossil fuels in the 21st Century. Below we have listed some of the negative impacts solar, wind and water energy brings, then we will compare it with their positive sides.
Wind power side effects:
- Noise. Wind turbine noise is an issue fraught with emotion. Noise often comes up as a complaint from local wind turbine opposition groups and it is clearly something that wind turbine manufacturers, designers and developers alike must face up to, even if a vast body of exists to show that there are no effects on human health from wind turbine noise. It is still sxtreamly disturbing and annoying.
- Birds get stuck and die.
- Denmark has over 6,000 turbines that produced electricity equal to 19% of what the country used in 2002. Yet no conventional power plant has been shut down. Because of the intermittency and variability of the wind, conventional power plants must be kept running at full capacity to meet the actual demand for electricity. Most cannot simply be turned on and off as the wind dies and rises, and the quick ramping up and down of those that can be would actually increase their output of pollution and carbon dioxide.
Water power side effects:
- There are numerous environmental consequences of damming water, flooding entire areas, creating massive reservoirs, changing water flow, blocking the natural course of rivers, and constructing power lines and roads.
- There are only a limited number of places where these power plants can be built.
- The initial expense is huge (though comparatively, so are other energy resources)
- Lack of water. Droughts have a serious impact on how much hydropower can be produced.
Solar power side effects:
- Energy Storage is Expensive
- Associated with Pollution
- Exotic Materials
- Requires Space
Positive side effects of both water, sun and wind power:
Water power offers a number of advantages to the communities that they serve. Below are just some of the benefits that hydropower has over other methods of providing energy
- It only requires moving water in order to work.
- It is considered to be a green source of energy. It does not pollute itself. Only the construction of power plants can be potential sources of pollution.
- It is a domestic source of energy.
- It is a renewable resource.
- It is the most affordable cost of power when spread out over the system’s lifetime costs.
- It is reliable. As long as there is water, electricity can be generated.
- It is flexible. Water flow can be adjusted and even conserved according to the need for power.
- It is safe! Compared with the use of fossil fuels and nuclear energy, hydropower is a much safer system.
- It only requires wind to work.
- It is considered to be a green source of energy. It does not pollute itself.
- It is a domestic source of energy.
- It is a renewable resource with huge potential.
- Wind turbines only require periodic maintenance, unlike other power sources.
- Wind power is accessible and affordable for homeowners and businesses to set up their own power grids and even sell electricity to their communities.
- Wind turbines are very space-efficient. Farmers can also rent their property for wind farms and still continue to farm the land.
- Environmentally Friendly
- Good Availability
- Reduces Electricity Costs
- Many Applications
- Shared Solar
- Financial Support from Government/State
- Low Maintenance
- Technology is Improving